As a never-ending source of informative, entertaining, opinionated, and thought-provoking content, I’m sharing something completely different with you. (Are you rolling your eyes yet? Trust me on this one!) As a teaser, what I’m about to share with you could:
- Extend your life
- Make you happier
- Prevent you from getting Alzheimer’s disease
- Improve your looks (no more bags under your eyes!)
- Make you love your soulmate even more
Are you intrigued? The source of all of these good things: blackout shades! Well, that’s only part of it; what I’m really referring to is a good night’s sleep, which is the ultimate ticket to health and happiness. I recently listened to an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast that featured Dr. Matthew Walker, an internationally-recognized sleep medicine specialist with a PhD in neurophysiology.
I promise you, you will never look at sleep the same way after listening to this podcast. I think this is important to share with you, so you can share with your friends and family.
Busy people like us often take sleep for granted, forgetting how important it is to our well-being. Yet, just a small lack of sleep can create disastrous consequences, which we now know from a solid body of sleep research. Here are just a few things that may surprise you:
- If you drive a car when you have had less than 5 hours of sleep, you are 4.3 times more likely to get in a crash. If you drive after only 4 hours of sleep, you are 11.5 times more likely to get in a crash.
- It’s a myth that you can “make up” sleep by sleeping in on your days off.
- Lack of sleep causes a stunning decrease in productivity in workers (even if they don’t notice it), which costs the United States $411 billion a year, or 2.28% of its GDP.
- Morning types, who prefer to awake at or around dawn, make up about 40% of the population. Evening types, who prefer to go to bed late and wake up late, account for about 30%. The remaining 30% lie somewhere in between.
- A nightcap will not only affect the quality of your sleep (without you knowing it) but it will also lead you to forget up to 40% of anything new you have learned in at least the past 3 days, as sleep is critical to cementing and integrating your memories.
In the podcast, Dr. Walker mentions blackout curtains as a way to enhance your sleep. It’s amazing how little life changes like that can make such a big difference.
I encourage you to check out the episode to learn more. For those of you who aren’t used to listening to podcasts, we have included instructions below about how to download a podcast app and access podcasts. My staff and I love podcasts. Like books, there is a podcast for everyone! Just so you’re aware, Joe likes to use the F word. It’s just part of his normal vocabulary. I know most of you have delicate, virgin ears, so this is your warning.
Want another easy life hack? Listen to podcasts at 1.5 times the normal speed. Most podcast apps have an easy way to do this. It turns a 2-hour podcast into 80 minutes and doesn’t change the quality of the show. Wow, what will you do with those extra 40 minutes? Maybe take a nap?
All this from some small-town fund manager. This is purely selfish on my part. I need my investors to live long, healthy lives. Dying doesn’t do any of us any good. Get some sleep!
P.S.: We’ve sent a copy of Dr. Walker’s book, Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, to all of our investors; keep an eye on your mailbox!
Here’s the full interview with Joe Rogan and Dr. Walker:
New to podcasts? We’ve included two tutorials below — one for Android devices and one for Apple devices.
Apple Podcast Instructions
Step 1: Open the Podcasts app. It is a purple icon and is the default podcast player for Apple devices.
Step 2: In the search bar at the top, type in “Joe Rogan Experience Matthew Walker.” This will pull up that specific episode.
Step 3: Click the + sign to the right of the episode. This will download the episode to your device. Depending on your settings, you can also stream the episode, which means you can listen to it without having to download it.
Android Podcast Instructions
Step 1: In the Google Play app store, download Google Podcasts.
Step 2: Once the app installs, you’ll be taken directly to the Google Podcasts homepage. Use the top search bar to search for The Joe Rogan Experience. (At the time of writing this, The Joe Rogan Experience is actually the top podcast right now, so all you have to do is click on the icon.)
Step 3: To listen to the episode with Dr. Matthew Walker, you’ll have to scroll down until you get to the episode #1109, which was released in April. There’s not an easier way to search for it, but luckily the episode is from earlier this year and this doesn’t take too long!
Step 4: Click the Play button to listen to the episode.